The three-blast rule — sounding the horn three times before starting a combine — is one of the most important safety tips to follow, explains Dan Renaud, Case IH Combine Product Specialist. Read on for more tips to make this a safe and successful harvest season.
Farmers will spend countless hours in combines, tractors and trucks during this harvest season. Because farming ranks among the nation’s most dangerous professions, it’s a good idea to reinforce the importance of safety on the farm. Here are a few tips to consider from Renaud.
- Take responsibility for your own safety.
- Stay focused, and always pay attention to what you are doing.
- Eliminate distractions, such as cellphones and texting while driving.
- Think about the safety of your co-workers, as well as yourself, and always put safety first.
- Review the operator’s manual safety information.
- Review and understand all safety decals on the combine and headers.
- Always use the three-blast rule — sound the horn three times before starting the combine.
Share our safety tips on your social networks, and remind others to be safe throughout the harvest season.