You’ve meticulously gone through your combine. Your trucks are ready to roll. Grain bins, augers and other equipment are clean, lubed and set to move a big crop. But is your shop up to the challenge?
No one has time for downtime. That makes a well-prepared shop especially important as we head into harvest. [Tweet “Is your shop up to the challenge? Via @Case_IH #BeReady”]If you spend time organizing and stocking your shop now, you’ll likely spend less time there during harvest. Here are some tips to get you started:
- “A place for every tool, every tool in its place.” If every high school shop teacher’s mantra hasn’t quite come to fruition on your farm since spring planting, now is the time to catch up.
- Inventory your shop. You likely know which parts most frequently need replacement. Make sure you have those belts, bearings, chains and sickle sections on hand.
- Check your tools. If you busted one of your knuckle busters over the summer, replace it. If every tool that has a place isn’t in its place — in other words, you lost it — it’s time to pick up a new one. Few delays are more frustrating than having the part but not the right tool to make the fix.
- Oil, lube and filters help keep harvest running smoothly. Have these supplies on hand to help stay on lubrication schedules and oil-change intervals.
As you organize and inventory your shop, build a list. It will help make your preharvest shopping trip more efficient. Or go high-tech and tap two powerful tools from Case IH — MyShed™ and the MyShed mobile app. Access both via the Case IH Partstore and build your parts list on the go. You’ll also have remote access to assembly diagrams that can make almost any repair job go more smoothly. Simply set up an account, create your equipment list by make and model, and download the free app, which is available for Apple® and Android® smartphones. From your office computer or mobile device, you’ll be able to:
- Access parts manuals
- Build a parts list
- Send parts lists and images to your dealer
- Quickly connect to your Case IH dealer with call and email buttons
- Manage equipment by adding notes to each model
- Access Toolbox Reference Guides: MagnaPower Battery Finder, Lubricant/Fluid Selector Guide; plus product alerts and videos
- Search for models by serial number
- Search for parts by part number
- Find the right tires by entering machine type, tire size and ply rating
A well-organized, properly stocked shop can help keep your harvest season on schedule. Then MyShed and the MyShed mobile app can help you manage all of your machines, track down the information you need and make quick maintenance decisions in the field and quick repairs in the shop.